Whether you’re using a trendy hanging chair, rattan chairs, or contemporary ring seat, we’ll show you how to put this on your ceiling patio or tree branch to allow you to comfortably sit and relax throughout the summer.
Make sure you stick to the instructions provided in your swing. The hanging suggestions we offer are an excellent source to know about how to hang a chair from the ceiling.
How to hang a chair from the ceiling – Materials & Methods
The things you’ll require
- A hanging chair
- Hardware for hanging. If your chair isn’t equipped with hanging hardware, you need an eye screw that is 3/8-inches long and will support at least 300lbs, with threads that are at least four inches in length.
- Quick link chains with two quick links S-hooks or locking carabiners based on the style you prefer. All of them should be able to support 300 pounds.
- Electric drill
- The chain or rope you received with chair. If your chair isn’t equipped fitted with this option, then you can utilize the galvanized chain. The chair should sit about 3-4 inches higher than its floor. At the top of your ceiling, take a measurement of the ring from the back of the chair and then raise it to your desired level from the ground and then figure out what length chain you require.
If you prefer to use rope instead of galvanized chains made of metal, Here’s the information you need to know:
- Choose a rope of at least 3/4-in in diameter that is able to support 300 pounds or more.
- Manila is a fantastic option if you’re in search of an organic fiber rope that’s extremely durable and outdoor-friendly.
- Polyester rope, nylon braided marine-grade, or polypropylene are also options that can endure the elements of the outdoors.
- Determine the length of your ropes. It should be in order to ensure that the chair’s bottom is 3-4″ higher than the ground. Add another foot to make knots. You can change the size of your rope or cut the rope in excess later in the event if you have to.
Find a ceiling joist at the spot you’d like to place it, which is a minimum of 2×6 inches in size so that it is strong enough to hold the weight of your chair as well as the person sitting there. In the event that your ceiling is not covered, you could employ the stud locater tool to locate an appropriate joist.
Joists are typically held by beams that are horizontal. If you’re using a tool to locate studs, ensure you draw lines on both sides of the beam. Then, you can trace between the two lines to find your middle line. This is when the chair will be suspended from.
Choose a location that has at least three feet behind your swing and at least 14 inches on each side to ensure it doesn’t strike an obstacle like a railing or wall.
In the event that your beam doesn’t have enough strength or you’re worried about its strength, you can strengthen it with beams, but this can be an undertaking that requires a skilled professional, particularly in the beginning stages of learning to master DIY.
Create an opening of about three inches in diameter through the middle of the joist. Make sure the drill bits you choose are smaller than the diameter of the eye screw.
Set the eye screw into the pilot hole, paying careful attention to ensure that the wood doesn’t split. Turn the screw until threads are visible within these screws. Use a screwdriver to push the eye if you need assistance in tightening.
Make use of the Shook or a locking carabiner to attach one eye screw.
The rope must be attached to the one side of the hanging device used for the chair, and the other end should be attached to the carabiner or the S-hook located at the screw to an eye. There are various ways to achieve this, according to the model of the chair. Usually, knots and carabiners will be used. Follow the guidelines that are provided with the chair.
When your chair doesn’t have instructions, Follow these instructions:
- Create a basic double bowline knot at the bottom and the top of the rope to create two loops.
- Be sure to put one loop to the carabiner or the S hook onto the eye screw.
- Use a carabiner onto the rope loop that is at the bottom.
- Attach it to the ring that hangs from the rung of the chair and anchor it.
Now it’s your turn!